Lymphedema Management and Oncology Rehab Program
What is lymphedema?
Lymphedema is a persistent swelling of a body part, most often in the extremities. It can also occur in the face, neck, abdomen or genitals. It is a slowly progressive disease. Initially the swelling will go away overnight or with elevation. Over time, the swelling remains despite rest and elevation, requiring treatment to maintain or slow the progression.
What causes lymphedema?
- Removal of lymph nodes
- Cancer-related treatments such as surgery and radiation
- Traumatic injury
- Surgery (including total joint replacements)
- Venous insufficiency (poor circulation, especially in the legs)
How do we treat lymphedema?
- Manual Lymphatic Drainage (MLD)
- Multi-layer Compression Bandaging
- Compression Garments
- Lymph Drainage Exercise Program
- Self Management Training
- Skin Care
- Lifetime Management
What is Manual Lymphatic Drainage?
Manual lymphatic Drainage (MLD) is a hands-on massage treatment that stimulates lymphatic flow away from the congested (swollen) area towards uncongested areas in healthier regions of the body to promote drainage. Specialized strokes promote flow and stimulation of the healthy regions of the lymphatic system to reduce edema.
Why use Multi-Layer Compression Bandages?
Short stretch bandages maintain a constant level of pressure, preventing refilling of fluid in the affected area after MLD treatment. (During the treatment phase, you will need to have compression on the affected area for 20-23 hours per day.) Your therapist can teach you how to bandage yourself. Once your treatment phase is over, you will wear a compression garment to maintain limb size and prevent the swelling from returning.
What should I expect from my first lymphedema treatment?
During the initial evaluation your Certified Lymphedema Therapist (CLT) will ask you questions about your medical history and current lymphedema symptoms, take measurements of the affected body part(s)and develop a plan of care with you
Each PT session will take about 40-60 minutes and the typical treatment duration is 4-6 weeks. You and your therapist will determine what is appropriate and necessary to successfully reduce your swelling and improve your quality of life. At Rebound Physical Therapy we take into consideration your time, insurance visit limitations, cost and travel when planning a treatment schedule.
Physical therapy can be utilized to improve your range of motion, strength, endurance and function before, during and after your surgery, chemotherapy and radiation treatments. Participating in rehabilitation during these times can help lessen the side effects of cancer treatments and improve your recovery.
Physical therapy before, during and after your cancer treatments address:
- Post-surgical rehabilitation
- Cancer Related Fatigue (CRF)
- Chemo-induced Peripheral Neuropathy (CIPN)
- Strength training
- Cardiovascular Fitness
- Endurance Training
Our goal is to help you return back to your normal activities, such as work, exercise and hobbies, as quickly and safely as possible. Each patient is different and unique therefore each treatment plan is individualized based on diagnosis, cancer treatments and desired goals. We work with YOU to develop treatment strategies to reach YOUR desired goals.
- Certified Lymphedema Therapist (CLT)- Norton School of Lymphatic Therapy
- Certified Edema Specialist (CES) – Oncology Section of the American
Physical Therapy Association
- First physical therapist in the State of Oregon to become a Certified Edema Specialist
- Postgraduate coursework in oncology, orthopedic and post-surgical edema and lymphedema
- Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist (CSCS)- National Strength and Conditioning Association
- Licensed Physical Therapist
- Member of the American Physical Therapy Association
- Member of the Oncology Section and Orthopedic Section of the American Physical Therapy Association
- Former participant, volunteer, mentor and coach with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society’s Team in Training Marathon Program
Rebound Physical Therapy’s Lymphedema Management and Oncology Rehab Program offers:
- Comprehensive lymphedema management
- Post-surgical edema reduction
- Compression garment fitting and ordering
- Authorized Juzo Dealer
- Oncology Rehabilitation
- Coordination with your treatment team during and after your Cancer Care
- In-house coordination with: